What are the main differences between epoxy vs. concrete polishing? If you have a space in need of flooring and it is between epoxy coating and concrete polishing, there are factors to take into consideration. You know that you want something that does not require a lot of maintenance but will also be durable and long-lasting. You can get this with both applications and in this article, we will dive deep into the differences between these two flooring solutions to help you make an informed buying decision for your next project!
The Difference Between Epoxy Vs. Concrete Polishing
Both epoxy and concrete polish flooring systems begin with a concrete slab sub-flooring. However, the main difference between epoxy vs. concrete polishing is they provide different surface finishes, with each better suited for a certain environment. What type of space needs the flooring, and your available budget will also play a factor in your final choice.
Both flooring options provide a sleek and shiny surface that can have a long lifespan. Both have advantages for your consideration, especially if the choice is for spaces with high traffic such as industrial facilities and commercial facilities. Since epoxy flooring is an affordable option, as well as a concrete polishing, educating yourself about the benefits of each is helpful.
Polished Concrete Flooring
Polished concrete provides a mirror-like glossy finish that has great durability. The process begins with heavy-duty industrial machines grinding the concrete to remove any imperfections. Then a concrete polishing machine uses diamond polishing pads to create the desired finish. A low matte finish, a sleek shiny finish, and anything in between can be created. This type of finish is common in retail spaces, restaurants, and grocery stores.
Advantages of Polished Concrete
- Cost-Effective – In general, polished concrete is a more affordable flooring option making it a popular choice among homeowners and industries. If cost is the only determining factor, then you will most likely choose polished concrete for your flooring project.
- Durability – Polished concrete flooring is strong and resilient. It is able to withstand heavy volumes of foot traffic and is highly resistant to chips and scratches. Since it is able to withstand moisture, polished concrete has become a viable option for spaces in residential homes. Polished concrete offers better protection than unpolished concrete. In order to safeguard your polished concrete flooring from moisture damage, a professional can recommend the best type of sealer for the project.
- Easy Maintenance – Upkeep for your polished concrete floor is simple. In order to prevent dust and dirt accumulation, use a dust mop or broom daily. Weekly use a wet mop on the floor to remove scuffs and smudges.
- Design Options – There are many designs and patterns that can be created through polished concrete. You have the option of choosing a stain color or a texturing effect that can give the appearance of a more expensive floor.
Epoxy flooring systems also provide an attractive floor surface with long-term durability. This type of flooring is commonly used in high-traffic facilities, both commercial and industrial. Epoxy coatings are created by mixing a hardener and an epoxy resin to produce a chemically resistant flooring. Our garage epoxy floor coatings make concrete surfaces strong enough to withstand most demands and are a true favorite for residential homes.
Benefits of Epoxy Flooring
- Affordable– Compared to other flooring types, an affordable price is one of the advantages of epoxy. Replacement and/or reapplication is even less expensive, making this an appealing option.
- Durability– Epoxy flooring is a durable surface that can withstand damage from everyday wear and tear. You can also apply an additional coating to the surface as a layer of protection that will increase strength and durability. Epoxy flooring systems are also moisture resistant.
- Weather Resistant – One of the epoxy flooring advantages is its ability to withstand extreme temperatures. It can withstand colder temperatures at the freezing level and can handle larger temperature swings of extreme heat.
- Maintenance– Epoxy flooring is easily maintained like polished concrete by cleaning with a soft mop and warm water. Abrasive cleaning agents or other acidic cleaning products are not recommended to use.
- Design Options– Epoxy flooring systems are an attractive option because they are just as beautiful as they are durable. An epoxy finished surface can have different finishes such as marble, granite, and a variety of colors.
Each of these flooring application choices are all excellent options depending on your needs. Epoxy coatings and polished concrete will prove to be an attractive flooring choice and a great alternative to bare concrete. Cost and traffic level will be key components in making your decision. Deciding what you want is the only thing that you should have to think about.
Are you not sure what you want? That is okay too, there is no right answer to the epoxy vs concrete polishing debate. Trust the Concrete Surface’s experts for any concrete project and they will give you the PERFECT FLOOR. With over 25 years of experience, Canadian Concrete Solutions are ready to complete any residential or commercial flooring project needed.
Devon has over 25 years of experience providing customers with high performance epoxy flooring to fit any need or budget. Referrals are our best friend and customer satisfaction is always our top priority. When Devon is not working you can find him fishing, or hunting across North America.